The size of Taringa is approximately 2.1 square kilometres. It has 8 parks covering nearly 7.9% of the total area. Taringa is 6.8 kilometres by road south-west of Brisbane City.
Taringa is dominated by a ridge that runs the length of Swann Road, with steep slopes on either side of the ridge.
Taringa is mostly residential, except for a small number of commercial buildings mostly clustered along Moggill Road. It is a popular neighbourhood among the students of the University of Queensland and the Queensland University of Technology because of its proximity to the universities and to Brisbane CBD.
The name Taringa is a combination of two Aboriginal words: tarau (stones) and nga (made up of). Together, they mean “place of stones”.
The Main Line railway from Roma Street railway station to Indooroopilly railway station opened on 14 June 1875 with tha area being served by West Milton railway station (as it was initially known) before being renamed Taringa later that year.
Taringa State School opened on 8 October 1900 and closed on 14 December 1996. The school was located between Moggill Road and Morrow Street.
The Lionel Brand of Worcestershire sauce was manufactured in Taringa.